Serve images from a custom domain
Every Sirv account is created with 2 subdomains, either of which can deliver your files:
- youraccount.sirv.com – served direct from Sirv’s primary datacenter.
- youraccount-cdn.sirv.com – served from Sirv’s fast global CDN.
Your CDN domain can be changed to a subdomain of your own domain, for example:
Or use a completely separate domain that you own:
Configure your domain
To configure your domain, you must add a CNAME record.
1. Login to the control panel of your domain name provider.
2. Under the settings for your domain’s DNS records, find the option to edit the records.
3. Go to your Sirv Settings page and copy your unique custom domain location. It looks something like this:
4. Paste that unique custom domain into the control panel of your domain name provider as a CNAME record. The record also requires the domain name that files should be served from e.g. cdn.yourwebsite.com.
5. Some domain name providers might require you to add the full CNAME record to the DNS. It will look like this:
cdn.yourwebsite.com. 300 IN CNAME abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.sirv.netdna-cdn.com.
If you need assistance in configuring the CNAME, please contact your domain name provider. Tell them the subdomain you wish to use and your unique Sirv CDN domain. You can also request guidance from the Sirv support team.
Once the CNAME record has been added to your domain, please notify the Sirv support team via your account.
It typically takes 5-30 minutes for DNS record changes to propagate across the web, though can take up to 24 hours. You can use this CNAME checker tool to watch the progress.
After your custom domain has been configured, any existing CDN URLs will no longer work. If you have published any live links to CDN URLs, you should update those.
- CDN URL e.g. youraccount-cdn.sirv.com will stop working.
- Custom domain e.g. cdn.yourdomain.com will start working.
- Direct URL e.g. youraccount.sirv.com will work as normal.
Automatic SSL certification
To permit your files to be served over secure HTTPS connections, Sirv issues your account with a free SSL certificate from the Lets Encrypt Certificate Authority.
The entire certificate registration process is automated – including renewals – so certification is one less thing you need to be concerned about. Just follow the steps above to configure your custom domain and Sirv will handle it.